Spring Maintenance Tips for Your Home

Replace your furnace filter

Clean the kitchen exhaust hood and air filter

Check your electrical system

Always have a multi-purpose fire extinguisher available

Make sure the light bulbs in all your fixtures are the correct wattage

Review your fire excape plan with your family

Consider installing a lightning protection system

Protect all electrical appliances from power surges and lightning

Have a professional air conditioning contractor inspect and maintain your system as recommended by the manufacturer

Check for damage to your roof

Run through a severe-weather drill with your family

IRepair all cracked, broken or uneven driveways and walks to help provide a level walking surface

Protect your home from sewer or drain back-up losses

Check all the fascia and trim for deterioration

Check your water heater

Check the shutoff valve at each plumbing fixture to make sure they function

Clean clothes dryer exhaust duct, damper, and space under the dryer

Replace all extension cords that have become brittle, worn or damaged

Inspect and clean dust from the covers of your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms


Replace or clean your furnace filter (back to top)
  • It should be checked once a month and replaced or cleaned as needed. Some filters are reusable and are supposed to be taken out, washed with a hose and re-inserted. A dirty filter can lower the efficiency of the heating/cooling system, increase heating costs and cause fires.

Clean the kitchen exhaust hood and air filter (back to top)
  • Keeping this clean of cooking grease will help keep a stovetop fire from spreading.

Check your electrical system (back to top)
  • Look for burn marks at the main electrical panel; they can be a sign of arcing inside the panel, which can easily lead to a fire. Loose connections or damaged insulation can cause the arcing. Note: Only a qualified electrician should remove the front panel cover.

  • Trip and reset the circuit breakers regularly.

  • Remove any combustible materials such as paper boxes or flammable liquids from the area near the main electrical panel. Sparks caused by arcing inside the panel can ignite material stored nearby.

  • Check all electrical outlets for loose-fitting plugs they are an indication of a worn out receptacle. Worn receptacles should be replaced as they cause overheating and fires. Also check electrical outlets and switches to be sure they work properly. If any switches, outlets or receptacles do not work, have a qualified electrician determine the problem and fix it to avoid fires inside the walls of your home.

  • Install safety covers to help protect children from electrical shock. Any appliance or tool that gives even the slightest shock should be unplugged and checked by an electrician or repair shop.

Always have a multi-purpose fire extinguisher accessible (back to top)
  • Make sure it is Underwriters Laboratories (UL) listed or Factory Mutual (FM) approved. Check the gauges to make sure they are charged and ready to use.

Make sure the light bulbs in all your fixtures are the correct wattage (back to top)
  • The light fixture manufacturer recommends the correct wattage. If too high a wattage bulb is used in a light fixture, heat produced inside the fixture can lead to fire inside the fixture, ceiling or wall.

Consider installing a lightning protection system on your home (back to top)
Protect all your electrical appliances from power surges and lightning (back to top)
Have a professional air conditioning contractor inspect and maintain your system as recommended by the manufacturer (back to top)

Maintenance should include:

  • Cleaning the evaporator coil

  • Lubricating fans and motors

  • Tightening or changing the belts

  • Checking electrical safeties

  • Checking the drain pan for leaks

  • Testing the capacitors

  • Check the condensate drain

  • Test the crankcase heater

  • Calibrating the thermostat

  • Visually checking the wiring for potential short circuits

These steps can help decrease the chance of fire, save money by making the system run more efficiently and help prevent breakdowns.

Things you can maintain:

  • Check the condensate hose to be sure it is not blocked with algae.

  • Clean the outside condensing unit screen of leaves.

  • Listen for unusual noises.

Check for damage to your roof (back to top)
  • Signs include missing, curling, cupping, broken or cracked shingles. Pooling or ponds of water that fail to drain from flat roofs may indicate low areas and inadequate drainage.

Repair all cracked, broken or uneven driveways and walks to help provide a level walking surface (back to top)
  • This will help prevent guests and family members from slipping, tripping or falling.

Protect your home from sewer or drain back-up losses (back to top)
  • Read more at Wet Basements.

Check all the fascia and trim for deterioration (back to top)
  • These areas can become weathered and worn and may lead to potential water damage.

Check your water heater (back to top)
  • If you have a gas-fired water heater, check to make sure it is venting properly. Light a match next to the vent and wave it out (don't blow it out). See if the smoke is pulled up into the vent. If it isn't, have a professional inspect and repair it. Otherwise, carbon monoxide and other combustibles can build up in the home.

  • Check around the base of your water heater for evidence of leaks. If your water heater is over 5 years old, it should be checked monthly for any leakage or rusting at the bottom. If water leakage or rust is found, the water heater should be replaced.

Check the shutoff valve at each plumbing fixture to make sure they function (back to top)
  • Know the location of all valves and what equipment and water lines they serve. Teach all family members.

Clean the clothes dryer exhaust duct, damper and space under the dryer (back to top)
  • Poor maintenance allows lint to build up in the exhaust duct and cause fire.

Replace all extension cords that have become brittle, worn or damaged (back to top)
  • Exposed wires may cause arcing, which will produce heat and can start a fire. Care should also be taken to keep appliances and their power cords away from water or a heat source because this will damage the cord's insulation.

Inspect and clean dust from the covers of your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms (back to top)